Toyota teams up with LEGO to build a drivable, life-size model GR Supra
- To celebrate 35 years of Supra, Toyota South Africa Motors (TSAM) is giving away 35 collectable LEGO GR Supra kits
Toyota is celebrating the 35th anniversary of the iconic Supra nameplate by showcasing a life-size incarnation of the current-generation model built from more than 477 000 LEGO blocks. Weighing an astonishing 1 885kg (390kg heavier than the road-going vehicle), it took the team of 21 builders and two mechanics – who worked 24 hours a day in three shifts – a total of 5 400 hours to assemble the LEGO Supra.
Although its mainly built from blocks, the car also incorporates a steering wheel, tyres, driving seat and car factory logo – all derived from the original vehicle – while the interior remains largely plastic. While it doesn’t feature the GR Supra’s turbocharged inline six-cylinder engine, the LEGO replica is drivable, with an electric engine capable of reaching a top speed of 28km/h.
The LEGO Supra sports a vibrant shade of yellow and has functioning headlights and taillights and is on display at Legoland in Nagoya, Japan, until 11 October 2021. Thereafter, it has been reported that the life-size LEGO Supra will be exhibited at the Japanese Super GT racing series.
The good news for all the other Supra aficionados, model car collectors and LEGO enthusiasts is that TSAM is giving away 35 LEGO Speed Champions Toyota GR Supra replicas. If you would like to win one of these collectable 76901 LEGO GR Supra kits (with 299 pieces), please go to TGRSA.co.za for competition details.
- As a refresher, the Toyota Supra was initially called a Celica (version between 1978 and 1986).
- LEGO is derived from Danish words ‘LEg GOdt,’ meaning ‘play well.’
LEGO Speed Champions Toyota GR Supra Set 76901 Competition - Terms and Conditions
1. The LEGO Speed Champions Toyota GR Supra Set 76901. (“Competition”) is organised by Toyota Gazoo Racing South Africa (hereinafter referred to as “TGRSA”) Stand 1, Wesco Park. Old Pretoria Main Road, Sandton, 2146 and its agencies (“Promoter”).
2. The Competition is open to permanent residents and citizens of South Africa over the age of 18 (eighteen) years and in possession of a valid Identity Document or a valid Passport with the endorsed residence permit (“Participant/s/Entrant/s”), except any minor below the age of 18 (eighteen) years (“Minor”), or employee, director, member, partner, agent or consultant or any person directly or indirectly who controls, or is controlled by, the Promoter and/or immediate family members of any employee, director, member, partner, agent or consultant of or person indirectly or directly in control or controlled by TGRSA – or its agencies, advisers, dealers, suppliers, its affiliates and/or associated companies (“Disqualified Persons”).
3. The Competition is valid within South Africa. All participants must be residing within South Africa for the verification process and at the time of the prizes being awarded should they be declared a Winner. Failing to do so, such person will be disqualified and the draw of a replacement entry shall take place under the same terms and conditions as the first draw. All participants are required to present the required Identity Documents for verification in order for prizes to be awarded should they be declared a winner. Failing to do so, such person will be disqualified and the draw of a replacement entry shall take place under the same terms and conditions as the first draw.
4. By entering the Competition, all Participants and Winners agree to be bound by these rules which will be interpreted by the Promoter, whose decision regarding any dispute will be final and binding and no correspondence shall be entered into regarding the decision. The Promoter reserves the right to amend, modify, change, postpone, suspend or cancel this Competition and any prizes, or any aspect thereof, without notice at any time, for any reason that the Promoter reasonably deems necessary.
5. Entrants will not be eligible to win the competition prize (LEGO Speed Champions Toyota GR Supra Set 76901) if he/she has won a prize from TGRSA in the last 1 year/12 months.
6. The competition will run from the 25th of August to the 1st of September 2021 at 23:59 (“Competition Period”).
Competition entry mechanics:
· The competition is an online Instagram, Facebook and Twitter platform-based competition. Please note all entries submitted on these three social media platforms will be consolidated and winners will be selected from this consolidated list. The entry mechanics for the platforms are as follows:
Facebook and Instagram: Entrants must respond to a TGRSA Facebook or Instagram post. The posts will: prompt the community/person to comment with an answer to the question: “How many years is the GR Supra nameplate celebrating this year” and ask them to include the hashtag #TGRSASupra in their response, in order to stand a chance of winning 1 of 35 LEGO Speed Champions Toyota GR Supra Set 76901.
Twitter: Entrants must respond to a TGRSA Twitter post. The posts will: prompt the community/person to comment with an answer to the question: “How many years is the GR Supra nameplate celebrating this year” and ask them to include the hashtag #TGRSASupra in their response, in order to stand a chance of winning 1 of 35 LEGO Speed Champions Toyota GR Supra Set 76901.
The prize includes the following:
· Each winner is selected from the consolidated list of entrants in a random online draw which will take place on the 6th of September 2021.
· Each winner will receive 1 x LEGO Speed Champions Toyota GR Supra Set 76901.
· Results of the competition will be communicated, in the week commencing the 13 September 2021 to winners directly via Instagram, Facebook or Twitter (the choice of platform will be determined by which of the three platforms the winner used to enter the competition).
· The winners will be asked to respond in a direct message format on Instagram, Facebook or Twitter, detailing their full names, email address, contact details and delivery address.
· The winners will be advised as to when they can expect delivery of their prize, as it will be directly couriered to them.
· TGRSA reserves the right to verify the validity of all entries.
· The prize (LEGO Speed Champions Toyota GR Supra Set 76901) is not transferable or upgradeable and is not exchangeable for cash.
· To claim the contest prize, the winner must produce their valid South African identity book (ID) and/or passport and a valid South African driver’s license.
General Terms and Conditions:
6.1 By entering this online competition, all participants agree to be bound by the rules, regulations and requirements set out in the promotional material. This competition is subject to South African law, and is not offered outside South Africa.
6.2 All entries must be completed online by the 1st of September at 23:59
6.3 TGRSA reserves the right to disqualify incomplete online entries. No responsibility will be accepted for online entries lost for any reason whatsoever, whether due to inaccessibility of the site via internet, network disruption, network congestion, malicious virus attack, unauthorised data hacking, data corruption and server hardware failure or otherwise. Proof of sending will not be accepted as proof of delivery.
6.4 Nothing on email, or on any other website of TGRSA, or entrant’s use of the services or products related hereto, shall be construed as conferring any license or other rights under the intellectual property or other proprietary rights of TGRSA or its subsidiaries or affiliates or any third party, whether by estoppels, implication or otherwise.
6.5 TGRSA and/or its agent shall be licensed to evaluate all contest-related submissions for the purposes of the contest, including verification and judging and as specified in these Terms and Conditions. The software and programming code and media relating to the website or Facebook and Twitter page and contest-related communication is protected by the applicable laws of copyright, trademark, patent, unfair competition and other proprietary laws.
6.6 TGRSA’s decisions shall be final in all matters relating to the draw and no correspondence will be entered into.
6.7 TGRSA reserves the right to change the Terms and Conditions without prior notice. An entrant shall be deemed to have notice of any such amendments or interpretations upon publication of the same on the website page and shall be deemed to have accepted such amendments or interpretations by virtue of his/her continued participation in the promotion.
6.8 Should an entrant not wish to continue to participate in the promotion pursuant to the prevailing Terms and Conditions as amended or interpreted, he/she may terminate participation in the promotion upon written notice to TGRSA.
6.9 TGRSA reserves the right to modify the competition or disqualify any entrant/contestant if fraud, misconduct or technical failures destroy the integrity of the competition as determined by TGRSA, in its sole discretion.
6.10 TGR reserves the right at their sole discretion to cancel, terminate or suspend the competition and select winners from among all eligible entries received prior to the cancellation.
6.11 TGRSA may in its absolute discretion extend any time limit or waive any of the Terms and Conditions where a person might otherwise be disqualified.
6.12 TGRSA may in its absolute discretion substitute the prize deemed to an appropriate replacement value in the place of the prize.
6.13 No liability shall attach to the Promoter in relation to any claims, losses or liabilities for any loss of profit or any other direct and/or indirect, special or consequential loss arising out of any of the Prizes. The Promoter is not liable for any defects in the Prizes. Ownership of and risk in, and benefit attaching to, the Prizes will pass to the Winner immediately upon delivery.
6.14 By entering the competition, entrants grant TGRSA and its marketing agencies to make contact with the entrant for the purposes of this competition and for, future promotional and marketing activities.
6.15 TGRSA reserves the right to use any photographs, videos or stories submitted into the competition without the expressed written permission of the participants in the photographs, videos or stories in publications or other media material produced, used or contracted by TGRSA, including but not limited to: brochures, invitations, books, newspapers, magazines, television, websites, social media etc.
6.16 By entering into the competition, a person who does not wish to have their image or story distributed should make their wishes known to the page administrators, and/or contact TGRSA, in writing of his/her intentions and include a photograph. TGRSA will use the photo for identification purposes and will hold it in confidence.
6.18 By entering the Competition, the Participants agree that TGRSA and its affiliates (including the Promoter, agencies, subsidiaries, and joint ventures) may contact the Participants via email and through social media platforms to deliver marketing communications regarding their products and promotional activities, provided that the Participants are given the opportunity to opt-out of receiving marketing communication at any time via the appropriate opt-out mechanisms provided by the Promoter for such purpose.
1.1 All queries in connection with this Competition should be directed to Toyota Customer Care Line on 0800 139 111
1.2 A copy of the Competition rules is available at no cost to the Participants and can be downloaded in printable form from (tgrsa.co.za)